View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I had another situation in a game last week that made me think I should start a thread in which we could make a list of the items for which we really desire the Fed to issuing rulings.
Let's gather all these grey areas together in the hope of the NFHS clarifying them.
If you recall, I observed a play a couple of week ago that sparked that interrupted dribble/backcourt violation thread.

Now I had:
1. OOB call, white ball.
2. Lengthy substitution process conducted.
3. Three dumb refs put the ball in play following a lengthy substitution process with only nine girls on the floor.
(I was the C and am now hanging my head in shame. )
The inbounding team only has four as one of its players believing she was substituted out of the game went and sat on the bench.
4. The ball is passed in and the team with four immediately scores! (Yeah, that's essentially three on five for those of you counting, since white had one player OOB making the throw-in.)
5. I can now clearly see only 4 players for white on the floor and sound the whistle stopping play. (Question 1: Perhaps I shouldn't have done this, but I reacted to the odd situation of only four on the floor. Maybe the correct procedure is to just continue with this team down a player until a foul/violation occurs or a TO is requested?)
6. The fifth girl for white never moved from the bench the entire time. She never tried to report the table or reenter the floor during the play. She simply sat there unaware of the situation. The coach was not aware of the mistake either.
7. There was no intent to deceive and with the rule change to 10-3-3, I do not believe that this team can be punished with a T. My partner wanted to charge the technical foul, but I talked him out of it as I couldn't come up with any rule that backed assessing one.

Therefore, I want a 10.3.3SitC which is similar to 10.3.3SitB except that the missing player makes no effort to return the game. He/she simply sits on the bench while the team plays with four. What should the officials do?

IMHO they certainly didn't gain any kind of advantage being one player down and it obviously wasn't any kind of an attempt to deceive - just a stupid mistake.

I'd stop play at the first lull in action (which it appears is what you did), tell the coach "Coach, you need one more player out here!", let her report, beckon her in & then resume at the POI.