View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 05:11am
Official Forum Member

I really want to encourage people if they have a question to go to their rule books. Try to find it. DQ procedure has been a hot topic recently. Heck, it should be pregamed. Or at worst discussed at half time.

I think it is an essential skill to know how to look this stuff up. Literally every game I have something come up that after the game I go and confirm and work through the rule.

I'm not saying this because I dont want people to discuss things. Discussion is great and is to be encouraged. But do yourself a favor and use those situations to sit down with the rule book and find the rule. Get into the habit of looking things up.

I say this because to me that is really how things stick in my mind. Reading the rule is great, but when I apply it in a situation that I have personally handled that really drives it home. It is far better than just asking for the answer and getting it. You learn it better if you go find it.

Just a suggestion that learning the skill of looking it up and thinking it through is a good thing.

Not trying to be a tool.

And in this instance the rule is clear and basic. And it isnt really an interpretation thing. They just arent bench personell until coach is informed. No grey area. And, honestly, its a rule (or perhaps more appropriately a procedure) you and your partner need to have reviewed. Sounds like you guys might need to really up the content of your pregame. A good pregame is just so key.

Oh, and dont skimp on reviewing the official's manual too. It is a gold mine.

[off soapbox, with appologies to all offended ]

[Edited by cdaref on Jan 14th, 2006 at 05:15 AM]