View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I pretty much agree with Rut. I don't hand out Ts very often, but when I do, they are obviously earned. I try to talk things out, if possible, and don't have rabbit ears. I've gone whole years without more than one or two Ts. You MUST bust every player that deserves one, but I like to talk to coaches if possible.

This year, I had one or two earlier in the year, and both on players (slamming ball down, etc.). Last night, I had two simultaneous -- one on a player, and the other on an assistant 'coach' (if you want to call her that; she truly didn't have a clue about what was going on). The thing is, and other officials I've talked to about it this year agree, that coaches will usually shut up and coach after a technical and their team will be the better for it.

Last night's game was horrible -- one of the worst games I've ever worked, basketball wise. The team that got hit had scored 10 total at the time (late in the 3rd), yet scored 19 after the technicals. My point is that while I still recommend we all use the T judiciously, don't be afraid to use it early if its warranted. It could solve some problems for you and cause a better basketball game.