View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Generally they respond if asked to move. In a respectful way asking, "can I get you to move a few steps down this way" or something like that, seems to be effective.
A few years ago I had this issue and asked one of the girls to move down the baseline so I wouldn't run into her. She immediately got defensive and said, in a very negative tone, "we're athletes too you know!" I wasnt' going to get anywhere with her so I went to the table to ask for the game admin. The PA announcer asked what I needed and I said I needed the girls to move to one side of the basket or the other. He immediately gets on the PA and requests, "WILL THE CHEERLEADERS PLEASE MOVE FROM THE END OF THE COURT" so everyone in the gym could hear it. I was laughing to myself thinking, hey, they got what they deserved. It wasn't what I intended but it certainly was effective!
They ended sitting up in the stands without doing any cheer for the entire game and they let me have it nearly every time I was at their end of the court within hearing distance.
Lesson: Be careful who you ask to help you.
Lesson2: Mess with the cheerleaders only if absolutely necessary.