View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Here is what I am saying. A coach needs to get the hint when he is stuck. He or she obviously said something that got them in trouble. I know if I am in other situations I know what I am saying and why I am saying it. I do not need an explanation to tell me what I said was out of line or why someone reacted a certain way. On a basketball court (or any field or diamond) coaches know what they are saying and why they got in trouble. If they do not know what they did then they will eventually learn what they did after they get more experience as a coach.

I just think we treat a T so differently it does not make good sense. The call is not different than any other in the sense that it is a judgment by the calling official. When coaches realize that the call is just another call to us (in other words we do all the similar things as any other call mechanically) then they will stop making a bigger deal out of it themselves.

Peace
That is perhaps the most naive statement I have ever read.

Some coaches perceive ALL calls as personal, and a technical is like saying something about their mother.

It will NEVER be looked at as just another call.

Factor in that on violations you lose the ball, on fouls you might shoot free throws, but on intentional and technical fouls they shoot and get the ball back.

The very penalty within the rules set it apart from "just another call".