View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 01:53pm
Huck Finn

I won 3 out of 4 because of superior agility! We normally play cut throat but our other partner couldn't play and he was talking trash.

Anyway, it was the second half when I gave the T. The coach was reacting to a call I made with his arms spread out, he was out of the box in front and then he waved me off even though I was reporting to the table. Remember, this was the second half, so when I went across to become the T the new C came trotting (I'm gritting my teeth) over to me and says something like, "tell me what he did so I can tell him." I told him to tell the coach that I would be over there in a few minutes, because of an inevitable rotation. Remember, it was the second half and HE HAD NO BUSINESS GOING INTO THE BACK COURT TO TALK TO THE COACH ANYWAY. So during the next timeout I tried to explain to him that I would tell the coach and at that time it was a no-win situation anyway. When I did rotate in front of the coach, I told him why he got the T (in a normal talking tone) and he said, "OK, I understand." All this was NOT confrontational and he was cool with it. We finished the game, there was some other screwed up stuff and they just thought it was a good game. In the locker room, he told me that he wanted to know because he wanted to decide it he told the coach or not. Man, did I have the poker face working because that this point my jaw wanted to drop and I felt like yelling some expletives. I told him I will decide if I want the coach to know - I'm a grownass man and if I have the guts to call the T, I can tell him why. I went on to tell him that it is my pet peeve for someone to call a T and another official trotting over there to do what looks like console him. If the coach doesn't get the hint, he/she deserves the second one anyway. I also tried, in vain, to get him to understand that at the time there wasn't anything he could say to the coach that would have been good enough. The coach would/could have kept going and then he would have to make a decision to give him another one or walk away feeling like a chump. Just let him calm down and he will be more receptive to the reasoning, like it turned out. I still cannot believe that I called the T and he thought he would be the one to make the decision whether this guy got an immediate reason or not. That will be the day. By the way, this league does not have a seatbelt rule (Catholic league, their own rules) so nobody had to talk to him at all.

IMO, I don't want my partners near the coach in this situation. I don't want anyone speaking for me or giving their own interpretation of why I called a T. If it is necessary to tell the coach he must sit, I will tell him with a good distance (at least 8 feet) between us and then show him the backside so there is no impression of me getting right up next to him to console him. It burns me up when I see an official over there next to a coach after a T, doing everything except giving him a back rub. What are they saying, "yeah, I know that ref is a meanie, it will be all right." This is just my opinion, I could make up about 10 threads from this one game.