View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
What do you guys want to happen when you give a coach a T? Do you want your partners to talk to them or tell them what they did to get the T? Do you want to tell them? Do you stay table side or go across? This is something that seems simple at first (to some people anyway) but can be an issue.

I had a situation in a game the other night and I'm wondering how people on this board feel about this. I will tell my story when I come back from beating my buddy in racquetball!
I think I can give you a very definite "It depends". In most cases if a coach earns a T, there are negative feelings, and the best thing to do is for the calling official to get away from the coach and let their partner come in to try and calm down the coach, take some of the heat, or give the next T if it's warranted. However, there have been instances where I have given the T, then stayed next to the coach and calmed them down a little. There was one instance where I was C, and had a player shoot a 3-point shot from the corner, in front of their bench. The defender turned to block out the shooter, and the shooter went to the floor. As I turned to go up court after the rebound, the coach was in front of me on the floor yelling why hadn't I called the foul. Easy T. After I report it, I go back over to him and explain I had watched the entire play, the contact was minimal, and his player did not go down because of the contact. In fact, it looked a lot like the player was trying to draw the call. He calmed down right away, gave me a somewhat mumbled apology, and admitted he didn't see the contact because he was watching the ball; he just looked over after the shot and saw his player on the floor. This was one of those instances where being able to talk to the coach right away may have prevented further problems.

It's just one of those "feeling" things - sometimes if you feel it can help the situation, then by all means talk to the coach. In most cases, it's usually a good idea to get away.

How did the racketball game go?

(Used with permission.)