View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 11, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

You are right, Chuck. Just being at the player's disposal isnt enough for team control. I jumped past several key steps. Careful what you ask for...

For team control, there must be player control. 4-12-2.

For player control, the player has to be "holding" a "live ball" "inbounds". 4-12-1.

Here, the player is holding the ball.

The ball is live because it is at his/her disposal, and it is at his disposal when handed to him/her. 6-1-2(c), 4-5-7(a).

S/he is also standing at the free throw line, which is in bounds.

All elements of player control are present, thus there is also team control.

Team control ends when (a) the ball is in flight for a try or tap for goal (and a FT is a try for a goal, 4-20-1), (b) an opponent secures control, or (c) the ball becomes dead. 4-12-3.

Since the ball is not in flight, no opponent has secured control and nothing else has caused the ball to become dead, team control is still in effect under our fact pattern.

Sorry I skipped over those key steps. Certainly you are right that the ball being live/at disposal by itself doesnt always create team control and it was sloppy of me to suggest that.

In this case, however, since being live means being at his disposal and being at his disposal means being handed to him, being handed to him means he is holding it--and by the facts is in bounds at the freethrow line, it seemed justified for me to say (in this case) disposal = team control.

How was that for a long and annoying analysis.