Thread: Held Ball/Foul
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager
then I must ask, for what? Excessive use of force, ur just opponent having bad balance (could be so)?
If the intent wasn't to hurt the opponent, why the T?
A1 used enough force to put B1 on the floor, and also out of the game. And this happened in a kid's game too. If you feel that is appropriate behavior, so be it. I don't. Jmo, but I think that if you lets acts like that go, you are going to have some real big-time game management issues someday- even under FIBA rules.
I still dont understand your interpretation of this play. Imagine yourself in a held ball situation with an opponent. You both have possesion but the whistle is late...What are you going to do? If you say anything other than try to rip it away then you havent been taught the game. So if you rip the ball away and your opponent isnt as strong as you and falls to the floor, you are going to call an unsporting foul. No way. The official should have blown the whistle sooner. Again had the "throw down" come after the whistle had blown then maybe a foul should have been called. But to penalize a player as stiff as you say is unheard of. The unsporting act rule is very open, lots of things could fall under this rule; however, it's my belief that making that call in this situation is making the rule fit your need.