View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 10, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ehcco
Hi all,

In a middle school youth game other day, A1 and B1 fight for a rebound and both are holding the ball. A1 is a bigger and stronger player than B1. Referees call a jump ball. Just as the whistle blows for the jump ball, A1 rips the ball out of B1's hands and sends B1 to the floor. No contact between players other than the ball being forcefully pulled away. B1 gets hurt (banged her head on the floor but not seriously, just shaken up) from falling to the floor. B1 gets replaced. As B1 is being replaced, the referee decides to change the held ball call to a foul.

My question is, should a foul be called in this situation? The only basis for a foul I could see was excessive force but no contact with the other player was made. I would not have called the foul on player A. What do you think?
That's a classic unsporting technical foul. The correct call is a held ball followed by a "T" on A1. It should be called- especially at the middle school level.

Welcome to the forum.
I completely disagree. When two players (opponents) have simultaneous posession, the ball is live until the whistle blows to stop play. I dont know how many instances I have seen a rebound come off and two players have hands on it but the stronger come away with it. Another example would be if A1 is bring the ball into the frontcourt being closely guarded by B1. If A1 picks up the ball and exposes it to B1 who immediately rips it away, then if there was no foul and it wasnt blown dead for a jump ball then play continues.

In the play described above, both players had hands on the ball. Instincts say pull it away. If it can be pulled away before there is a whistle then ITS LIVE!! In the afore mentioned play both players had hands on the ball and I'm sure were trying to pull it away, my question is how can this be an unsporting act, the whistle hadnt blown. Had the whistle blown and A1 continued to pull and swung B1 to the ground then yes, unsporting. In this case IMO its a jumpball.