View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I gave a T last night to a coach for much less than what Juulie put up with. Girls' 7 & 8 grade game. My T fell into both of Jeff's categories

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef
I put coach T's in 2 categories. The first category includes the easy ones to call (disrespect to the crew, ignoring a warning, or a calculated response or outburst). The other category includes emotional responses and outbursts. I might say something like "I understand you're upset with the call. That was a tough play that could have gone either way. Let's move forward and get back to playing ball".
I called a foul on his player and he immediately said, "Looked like a clean block, ref," which I ignored. Then he said it again. So I answered, "Slapped her across the wrist, Coach." I reported the foul and went to administer the free throws. He is still talking to me about the clean block. So before I administer the free throw, I said to him (very calmly, too), "Coach, that's all I want to hear about the call. Let it go."

In my view, that was his warning and "Let's move forward" at the same time. So I bounce the ball to the free thrower and while the ball's in the air, "Terrible call".

Tweet.

Yeah, it was a short leash, but it seemed clear to me that if I didn't stop it, it would continue for the whole game, and I wasn't about to have that. He wanted to talk to me about it at halftime, but other than that, he didn't say anything else to the officials for the rest of the game.

Chuck
If you were put in this situation again, would you handle it differently?

Sounds to me like the coach wanted to be acknowledged. Could his behaviour (sorry, I'm Canadian!) and the subsequent "T" have been avoided if his original comment was acknowledged? Something like..."I had a great look at the play and the foul is the correct call". He still may think it was a "bad" call, but he needs to "respect" your decision.