View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Originally posted by Alfreedog
The T and C were wrong dead wrong, caving into the pressure of the crowd.
That's where you are dead wrong dog...there is no way the changed call was made because of the crowd...that's almost laughable.
We may have been dead wrong...but, it wasn't because of the crowd.

Remember T and C never had the call, never raised their fist for a foul, never blow their whistle.

Remember...the L initially raised his fist for the obvious foul...why would the T or C double whistle it?

Listen, again I agree with the bigdogs here on their philosophical approach to this type of sitch. That's why I posted this mess...I wasn't proud of big-timing the less experienced official. (The guy isn't young, but his career has been mostly JV stuff, with a little V sprinkled here and there)
Would we have come in and huddled with a more experienced V official? Probably not...in fact, if I had been the misguided L and my two partners came up to me after the "call"...I wouldn't have been apologizing in the locker room, I would have been somewhat unpleasant.

So...we treated our partner differently than we would have a seasoned veteran. I wouldn't have felt the need to protect and/or embarass the Vet. We did this particular partner...therefore, our bad.

Sure, we got the call right...but, at what expense to a partner?
As a crew, do we get every call right every night? (I haven't seen it yet)
Do we go around huddling and changing things for the "good of the game"? (Sometimes...you just have to know when those "sometimes" are)

These are some of the philosophical questions that, IMO, a good official asks him/herself.

BTW...Coach B, of the fouling team asked me how my partner could change that call? I simply asked him if he thought it was a foul. He said it didn't matter...I looked him in the eyes and asked him again, if he thought it was a foul. He turned and went back to his seat.

Rookie Dude, Why not have a secondary whistle in cadence here? It seems in this situation it would have been great to have a double whistle here. It would have given the crew better credibility, more believability that the foul was actually there, and I also think this L official doesn't drop his foul call. If you can ever help a less "experienced" official by giving him a back-up whistle especially in a late game with a tough call then Please give it.