Thread: Lesson Learned
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by SCBroncos on 02-09-2000 11:08 AM
Every game we learn something new and yesterday was no exception for me.

I was working a boys varsity game and early in the first quarter my partner stopped the game and warned a player on Team A for taunting.

Later in the second quarter, a player on team A (it happened to be a different player, but it doesn't really matter) addressed an opponent after a dunk and I decided to stop the game and tell the kid to cool it. I really thought nothing of it other than preventive officiating.

As soon as I called the player over, the coach from Team B went crazy because we didn't issue a technical foul after already issuing one warning. While my play was probably not significant enough to issue a 'T', once a warning was already given, the coach sort of had me.

My lesson learned is to add this to my pre-game. Once we warn a player, let's make sure the next time they do something, we give them the 'T' - but make sure they EARN it (no cheap stuff).

E-

This situation really has little to do with the pre-game, other than commmunicating to your partner how you intend on treating unsportsmanlike behavior. As an earlier post mentions, warnings should be used judiciously. Too often players (& coaches) mistakenly believe they are allowed one "warning", probably because officials use it too often rather than enforcing the T. Beleive me, if you start enforcing the rules, you'll be more respected and the games will certainly improve.