Thread: closely guarded
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Reviewing exact wording the book says simply continuously guarded by any opponent who is within 6 feet of the player who is holding or dribbling the ball.

Step further question. The count ends when the offense "beats" the defender by "getting their head and shoulders past the defender".

Say your burning some clock. Guards are moving parallel with division line but close to a team really wanting the ball.

Is "head and shoulders" realitive to
1) the basket?
2) the direction of the player?
I remember reading or hearing the above somewhere "The count ends when the offense "beats" the defender by "getting their head and shoulders past the defender"" but I am unable to verify this in my books.

My understanding that closely guarded shall terminate only when there is an interruption with the players dribble or the defender is not guarding within 6 feet (Rule 9-10, Case 9.10.1 SITUATION A(a) & SITUATION B).

And what is everyone’s reply to when A1 dribbles towards the basket while being closely guarded by B1, and or continues through the free-throw lanes?

I feel a closely guarded situation exists yet my association wants it called off whenever a player dribbles north/south towards the basket.