View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Hey, I watched the Electric Company. Who can forget Rita Moreno belting out "Hey you guuuuuyyyyyyyys!" at the beginning of the show. And I remember Spiderman, and a couple other things about it. But I don't remember the soap opera.

And now. . . the last word: ancient.
Well, ok, I vaguely remember it as well. But I was a kid back then, just like I'm sure you were, so we're obviously not as ancient as some people who watched it with their kids. Shhh...just don't tell anybody I actually watched PBS, ok?

Oh, yea, back to the topic. I've been working on my patient keyboard mechanic, waiting until now. jeffpea seems to have the same feeling I do - if it's the right call, make it. Now, we can discuss all day whether the C was caught in the wrong spot, whether the T should've been drifting over more, or whether the L should or should not have started a rotation. But the comment about the crew losing credibility if someone calls out of their area, at this point in the game, just isn't true. Do you think if the players, or the coach, asks why the foul wasn't called, and your reply is to say "It's not the T's or L's call", they would gain this new-found respect for the crew? Hell no. Now, to me, "getting it right" is more than just getting the call right. As Tommy, (er, I mean Tom ) said, sometimes it's used as an excuse for having more eyes on-ball. But, at least with most of the partners I work with, "getting it right" is the whole package - being in the right position and hustling to get there, knowing your areas of coverage, trusting your partners to cover their areas, etc. But, sometimes, being aware of something that happens outside your area can actually bring more credibility to the crew. If I'm the C in this case, I'm thanking my partner for making the right call, then apologizing to them for not being in the right spot to make the call in the first place.

One other thing: the call has to be the right one. If it wasn't, I'll be standing right next to the coach as we both yell at the L for making that long-distance wrong call.

(Used with permission.)