Thread: Ba' Bye
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 12:09am

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete in AZ
I haven't watched either of you ump. But, I know that unless you have umped minor league or D1 baseball WWTB is better than you. I read how the two of you answer posts and it looks like WWTB knows his stuff. What is your experience?
Is someone who umpired Bronco League better than someone who worked Mustang League. What difference does that make whether he worked D1 ball or not? I certainly don't lack the ability to do that. I've seen plenty of D1 umpires who shouldn't be working higher than HS varsity! It cracks me up how everybody seems to equate umpiring with rocket science. If you're good, you're good. I never said I was better than he was. HE ALWAYS SAYS HOW GREAT HE IS!

As for my experience, I have only been at it for 20 years, not the 30 plus that WWTB allegedly has. I only have a little more than 3,000 games under my belt. I'm sure WWTB has me beat there too! I only worked 6-7 days a week for 40 to 45 weeks a year for the first 16 years I umpired.
Ever since the middle of my second year, I have worked mainly HS varsity when it comes to HS ball. I have extensive experience in Pony, Colt, Palomino, American Legion, USABF, NABA, ADABA, MABL, MSBL, and Mexican-American League baseball. I worked 3 Mexican American All-Star games, and 2 of their Championship games. I worked the 2000 Area Code games at Qualcomm Stadium and Tony Gwynn Stadium, in front of large crowds. I have worked 3 semi-final Sectional playoff games, but never got a final, because here you have to be on coaches' request lists, and the lists I made never made a final. I have never had the opportunity to work college ball, but not for lack of ability. I have previously addressed the reason for this.

Now, all that waste of bandwidth being said, I think I am at least qualified to give my opinion without being ridiculed each and every time. I expect that kind of treatment from coaches, but not other umpires.

Everyone please note that I was asked about my experience.

[Edited by SanDiegoSteve on Jan 4th, 2006 at 12:21 AM]
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25