Thread: Lesson Learned
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry to say, but in my opinion, you guys blew it. Or should I say you should have blew it, the whistle that is.

There is no room, in H.S. Basketball, for taunting, unsportsmanlike conduct, or anything remotely close to that.

These games are an extension of the H.S. Academic Program. This is not PRO SPORTS.

We as officials can warn players about 1. Huddling at the free throw line. 2. Breaking the out of bounds boundry on a throw in. 3. Touching the opponents ball after a made basket. These 3 are the only warnings we would "log" in the scorebook.

I believe it is good preventive officiating to "warn" players about the hand checking, three seconds in the key, knee in the post players back, etc. but to let a H.S. player off the hook when he has taunted a opponent is not in the spirit of the game.

But, if you feel you must warn a player about his unsportsmanlike conduct then I would suggest telling him at a break or one on one, and not "stopping the game" to issue a warning that should have been called.

Dan Ivey