Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by cropduster

I know some will say I should have stuck him so he would not forget.
Yup, that's exactly what I would say. I would say that you were completely wrong to do that. I would say you're deliberately ignoring a very-plainly written rule. I would say that you unfairly cost the other team 2 free-throws and a possession by trying to be Mr. Nice Guy. I would also say that you just gave about 20-something other players in that game free license to dunk at half-time too-- after all, if you allow it for one player, then you haveta allow it for all players. That's called being consistent and fair.

I surely would like to be in the stands when 20 different kids line up in a dunkathon at half-time while you're sitting there. You'd deserve every single dunk of it too.

Btw, if I was evaluating you that day, you'd be getting a lot of experience in JV games. I'd be afraid to recommend that you do any higher levels than that.
Jeez...did you miss the fact that it was a JH game and not the state championship? I'd sooner give up officiating than work for a crabby old assignor that has forgotten that the game is about the kids on the floor and the life experiences that being involved brings and not on that precious little rulebook. Happy New Year!
You're missing my point, Dev. When I see someone ignoring a very plainly written rule that every coach, player and fan in the free world damn well knows is a rule, then I see an official who is simply afraid to take care of bidness. They look for excuses to not make a call and then try to justify doing so. To be quite honest, yes, as an assignor I'm afraid to put those guys in a higher level game that means something because I'm not sure what else they'd choose to ignore. If you wanna work with partners like that, hey, be my guest.

It's not a matter of being crabby per se. It's a matter of me having my own opinion. And I think that I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are to your's.

Happy New Year!
Agreed. We can disagree, no problem there. I just happen to believe that we ignore or choose not to penalize hundreds of rules violations during any given game and do so based on our experience and perception of lots of things including level of play, time on clock, score of game, etc. I can't imagine anybody whacking a JH kid at halftime of a blowout game because he tried to dunk. This, imho, is what we, in education, refer to as a teachable moment and was handled perfectly in this particular setting. Change the parameters, score, level, atmosphere may change the call...to me this is part of our purpose, i.e., to facilitate a fair and enjoyable environment for a game. I can recount more times that I made a call that was technically correct (e.g. T'd up a 7th grade girl for swinging elbows a few years ago and she cried the rest of the game) which I wish I would have handled differently than I can remember calls in which I used my experience to make the appropriate call based on the unique situation.