View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 02:56am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dpk933
I am a first year official working towards the board. I have been using this site for a few weeks now and have learned a tremendous amount from all of the postings.

I am using the IABBO Ref SChool package and the following question confused me. Any help would be appreciated.

A-6 replaces A-1. Before the clock starts team B is assessed a technical foul. Coach of Team A sends A-1 to the table to attempt free throws. Official beckons A-1 into the game. Is the official correct?

MY answer is yes. Rule 8 Sect 3 says that any player of offended team can shoot. Ref School says no. Rule 3 Sect 3 art 4 - player replaced shall not reenter until clock has started.

Am I missing something???????

While I agree with oc's post above, I just wonder if NFHS R8-S3 trumps the rule that does not allow A1 to return to the game. I ask this question because years ago before the NFHS and NCAA clarified the rule concerning who could shoot the free throws for pre-game technical fouls, I was asked specifically by a young official if a Coach A could change his starting lineup after the ten minute mark so as to have A6 shoot the free throws without being penalized for changing his starting lineup.

I told the official that Coach A could have A6 shoot the free throws without being penalized for the lineup change. But later that week I called NFHS Headquarters, when it was still in Kansas City, KS, and talked to Dick Schindler who agreed with my interpretation. He told me that a team's right to have anybody shoot the free throws trumps, so to speak, the rule against changing the starting lineup. Therefore, why couldn't A1 return to shoot the free throws.

Just some food for thought.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio