View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 08:13am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun

If you think the player took the contact in the torso, I wouldn't split hairs. I think the OP's call was correct.

What difference does "contact in the torso" have to do with the actual call on this play?

Answer: Absolutely nothing!

The call is solely dependant on whether the defender had a legal position before the shooter became airborne, and then maintained that legal position. If so, charge. If not, block.

"Contact in the torso" has got absolutely nothing to do with making the right call in this situation.

Btw, is "ref the match-up" the latest buzzword? Personally, I can't see how that differs from "ref the defense" at all.
Contact in the torso does have something to do with this play. That is my opinion just like JR gave his. I'm editing this post after reading the next two posts. JR explained himself more, which I agree with, so I think an edit is called for. Taking the contact in the chest is not the only thing to look for but it is one thing to look for. For an airborne shooter, a sliding defender is even more important. However, these are often "bang bang" plays and - let's face it - the amount of contact often determines IF we blow the whistle (along with whether the players go down..etc, etc).

If you don't understand how ref the d and ref the matchup differ, that is a part of the game you are missing. It isn't a buzzword, it is something that happens probably millions of times a day during basketball season.

This isn't even something to argue about; just two opinions. YMMV

[Edited by tomegun on Dec 28th, 2005 at 08:21 AM]