View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 22, 2001, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Would some of you please explain to me your mechanics of a free throw. From both the Lead and Trail position.

For example: How do you signal for the bonus (1&1) when you are the Lead and your hands are full with the ball?
I say "1 & 1!", bounce the ball to the shooter and signal Before the ball reaches the shooter. There's nothing that requires that you say and signal 1 & 1 at the same time. BTW, the kids aren't watching or listening anyway.

Quote:
The Trail: Do you signal one shot, 1&1, or two shots with your hand briefly before the shooter shoots, or do you keep your hand to your side continually utill the shooter shoots?
I normally signal.

Quote:
I know I have been told to raise my hand on the last shot, "as the shooter shoots", to prepare to "chop" or start the clock on a miss.
Why would you wait until the last shot? The last shot may be the first shot, in a 1 & 1 situation. You should have the same mechanics on both shots of a 1 & 1.

Quote:
Do you signal the score keeper on a made free throw?
Do you signal when they make a layup? No. There's no need too.

Quote:
Do you slide step toward the basket on the last shot of a free thrower?
After either shot, I close down.

Quote:
Do you flick your hand, opposite side of the shooter so as not to distract him/her, for your 10 second count?
Yes.

Quote:
Also, I know the book says not to signal on a made two point field goal...but in my experience it is a lot less confusing for the score keepers, coaches, and fans if you signal two on a made two-point field goal that was close to the 3 point line. (Not proper mechanics though)
If it's close, I signal to my partner.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
On the final shot, when the ball goes up, and I see that there won't be a violation, I move one step towards the baseline with my hand up ready to chop the clock.
Why wouldn't you use the same mechanic on the first shot?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith