View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker,

I'm not a real Ref. I did go to Ref School a dozen years ago and pass the IABBO Exam (by the skin of my teeth). The first year, I bought a shirt and sewed on the badge and paid my Union Dues.

However, do to the demands of my janitorial job...I'm limited to unpaid, volunteer work at our Local YMCA where I've helped officiate and Coach on a highly unpaid basis for the last 10 years. (I've out-grown the shirt.)

Our games our Equal-Time, non-Varsity Level Competitions. Great for the average kid looking to have fun. We stop the Game every 4 minutes for subs which drives me quite crazy......forcing me to write insane stories on the Forum.

Fortunately, the unpaid fathers & mothers that Coach are EXPERTS in all phases of basketball. Including a keen knowledge of all NFHS Rules. And, of course, if their kid is playing, the game takes on the importance of an NCAA Final Four.

The Coach that was chewing me out on this call Saturday was down like 27-12 at the time....and he was 100% sure that I was jobbing him.

I do appreciate the people on the Forum as I've learned alot here!

John