View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

I think . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
This rule used to be fairly clear. If the officials directed the teams to go the wrong direction, then the points were given to the Team that put the ball into the basket. 5.2.1 Sit F as JR cited.
Also, I would apply this to the start of a quarter other than the 1st if the official did the correct mechanic of indicating color and direction, but pointing the wrong way.

Now we know that if a single player gets confused and scores in the wrong goal the other team gets the points. 5.2.3

However, there is a new case book play which has the jumpers facing the wrong direction (officials mistake) but one of the players knowing that he should be going the other way and scoring in the opposite basket from which his jumper was facing right off the tip. The ruling is that his team gets the points. 5.2.1 Sit E

I don't like this last ruling. How are the officials supposed to know what the kid was thinking when he went and scored in that basket? Are we mindreaders?

It is this last case book play that makes me give pause and question to which team we should credit the basket in JCrow's play to begin the 3rd quarter. I'd have to say that when it is obvious that all of the players were attacking and defending the wrong goals AND the officials were not aware of this at the time, then the points should go to the team that was physically shooting the ball into that basket.

If both teams are attacking the wrong direction, but the officials are aware of it, a violation will probably be called soon (10 seconds, double dribble, backcourt, etc.)
But if someone scores, then stop the game, credit the points to the opponent, and continue play by pointing the scored upon team in the proper direction and awarding them an end line throw-in.

I wish that the NFHS would adopt the simple rule that if the period starts with a jump ball then the way the jumpers are facing is the way that team MUST score until the officials stop the game and straighten it out. If the period does not begin with a jump ball, but rather with a throw-in or FTs, then the points go to the team that should have been scoring in that basket.
This would be easy to remember and simple to apply.
Unfortunately, for me, the NFHS case book seems to indicate differently, and we have to decide when the players are confused and when they know that the should be doing something else.

5.2.1(E) is an instance of the more general case, 5.2.1(F). If 5.2.1(E) did not exist, and the officials became aware of their mistake at the dead ball after the game's first basket, their actions would be no different: score the basket for the shooter and set everyone, including themselves, straight.

The purpose of 5.2.1(E) appears to be to emphasize that the 'going wrong way from the get-go' scenario is not the same as the 'gets confused and scores in the wrong basket in the middle of the game' scenario.

[Edited by assignmentmaker on Dec 19th, 2005 at 02:48 PM]