View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 17, 2001, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ksandi
First, you are misrepresenting my post. At no time have I said that it is wrong for a person to display the flag.
First, I hope the above comment is not directed at me, b/c in no way did I ever misrepresent your post. I took a direct quote from your post and responded to it. You said that it is demeaning to our servicemen and servicewomen for officials to wear flag patches. The exact quote follows (again):
Quote:
If any official chooses to wear a flag on his uniform, to me that would demean the accomplishments of the men & women who are putting their lives on the line everyday.
and I replied that someone would have to explain that to me. (Interestingly, you still haven't provided any reason at all to think that it's demeaning.) Then I gave several reasons for thinking that it is not, in fact, demeaning for non-military citizens or citizens who are not members of "patriotic organizations" to display flags.

Quote:
“I don’t believe that it’s appropriate for anyone to ‘mandate’ that a person wears a flag in anyway.”
To me that statement defines itself, so what is it that you missed?
Nope. I didn't miss that. In fact, I stated that if this were your only point, that I would probably agree with you. I should have said that I would wholeheartedly agree with you. Forcing a person to wear a flag is counter to what the military is fighting for in Afghanistan. But, of course, that wasn't your only point.

Quote:
Finally, you should not confuse my opinions to represent anyone other than me.
I didn't. Why would you think I did? I responded to comments from you and also from someone else, but I didn't ever attribute your comments to anyone else.

Anyone wishing to draw this discussion out further is free to contact me via email, but I probably will not post further on this subject (in this thread, anyway ).

Chuck