View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 12:14pm
tpaul

Re: Re: Re: Re: Canadian Mechanics

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee

Accumulated over a game, you could lose many many seconds!
REPLY: JR...don't mean to disagree too strongly, but over a game, how many seconds could you really lose? If it happens 10 times, that's only 20 seconds lost at the most. In a 48 minute game, that amounts to about 0.5% of the clock. Isn't that really chump-change? I'm not arguing either way, but the lost time really doesn't matter except during the last minute or so of either half. Outside of those times, who really cares that the clock lost a second or two? Has anybody ever heard a coach complain that he would have had one more play had the officials not lost that one second in the middle of the first quarter?
I have to agree with you Bob. Kind of how we handle a first down that is close. If we are in the first quarter we don't kill it I come up and take a look at it. Then kill it for a first down or measurement (or let it run). But if we are at the end of the 2nd or 4th quarter and the LJ has something that is close and I need to look at it and we are down to the last few minutes, the LJ goes ahead and kills it. Always looks good and nobody complains.

But in the case if the officials' manual says to do it, why would n't we do it? I know the manaul for the clock operator state that if it is obvious that the clock should be stoppped then he should stop it. But I hate when clock operators do this in a blow-out game (LOL).

I think if the crew uses the proper mechanic and you have a clock operator that is paying attention there shouldn't be that much time lost.