View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 30, 2000, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Wickham:
"the umpire should always set up on the first-base line extended."

Carl, what should you recommend to deal with a sweep tag? From FBL extended you can see the facial and other non-verbal reactions by the runner who may be tagged (my only indicator the one time I dealt with the problem), but you can't see the tag.

I disagree. FBL is the ONLY place you get a good shot at seeing the touch.

I know the pro mechanic is to set up at the point of home plate and shift with the play, but I agree that there is a risk of the amateur ump (that's me) being the end of a nasty collision.

Gosh, guys, I don't see the problem.

1. On the first-base line extended, you are ready to move as the runner swings away from the tag to slide around the catcher. Gentlemen: How many times do you see the runner slide into fair territory at the plate?

2. Regardless of where the ball is coming from, it's still headed for the catcher. In these days of slide or avoid and no-malicious contact, those plays at the plate are almost always going to be on the ground.

3. From FBL extended you can back away from the play and still have both players in front on you. From TBL extended, when the amatuer runner swings to his right, if you go left, he slides into you. If you go right, you have both the catcher and the runner in front of the tag.

4. Hop over to the field after you read this. Stand at the various positions and watch the runner slide at home. You'll see that the clinicians are right about this.

If the major league schools teach FBL (when their runners do not have to slide), then that so much more reason for us to use it, when ours do.

------------------
Papa C
Editor, eUmpire