View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 11:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Badger05
I don't think that is a very good idea. What makes you think that the yard lines that you used to mark the chains with tape were accurate? I have worked on many fields with "wavy" yard lines that are not accurately laid out. Last season we changed ends at the end of the first quarter, 2nd and 9 from the 10 yardline. When we got to the other end of the field the LTG was in the endzone by about 2 inches. What a fun night.

When I place the tape I do it by holding both posts together and pulling the chain out from there. I have seen linesmem that place the tape by the yardline.

We only use it as a visual reference. All penalties should still be marked off on the field, not with the chains. But I do think that one mechanics manual describes this mechanic.

[Edited by Badger05 on Dec 13th, 2005 at 03:56 PM]
Personally, I don't care if the lines are accurate. We had a touchback this past season and a run came up about 3 inches short of the 30. I refused to measure. I am not awarding a first down short of the 30 after a touchback, even if it is mis-marked by a bit.