View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Naw, I can't agree with that at all. The better coaches that I have seen have over the years all made a conscious effort to know and understand the rules. They want to teach their kids to play within the rules and to also avoid uneccessary turnovers and fouls. It's to their advantage to do so.
I tend to agree that the better coaches do have a pretty good grasp of the rules. I know it makes me more effective as a coach. Although knowledge of the rules doesn't cure "coaching eyesight." Most of my questions now revolve around what was seen.

My good friend who officiates some college level games as well as a lot of High School games has now elevated me to the status of "Pain in the a$$", which is a big promotion from "Ignorant pain in the a$$." Actually, I've gotten very polite in the last ten or so years since I decided to get a good grip on the rules.

Oddly enough, if you ask the officials 'round here which games they want to work, almost all will steer clear of games in which the coaches are also known officials. Why is that?