View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

While I had the reputation of being trigger happy over the years I have cooled down and given less T's over the last several years. I have discovered that a properly placed word or sentence can difuse a situation, the stop sign with a coach telling them you have reached the limit can limit the need to issue the T.
Having said that - I do still issue the T - but they call themselves - I would prefer that everyone in the Gym saw or heard the reason, but it doesn't always happen that way.

Last night in a blow out an eigth grader got beat to the rebound by a player in the second block who scored off the rebound and as he grabbed the ball he looked at me and said "he f@#&$$%g pushed me" WHACK yes I had to explain it to the coach he understood, it wasn't a popular call but it was right.

Or the coach in a Catholic league that jumped up and yelled Jesus Christ -Whack see you bye - every body heard that it is a zero tolerance league - popular, no - right, yes.
Will it cost me in that league because other officials do not make that call - could be - but since that is the mandate set down by the league I will enforce it. The assignor will not punish me for it and in this league the assignors, officials, and reviewers vote not the coaches and AD's which IMO is the way it should be.
I think the reason too many officials let coaches/players get away with things they would punnish their kids for, is they reffing for votes from the very people they are out their to control.
anything seem wrong with that philosophy?