View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think that you can make a statistical evaluation based on the posts on this board. You need to remember that the vast majority of situations that get brought up here probably involve extreme behavior - which is why a heavy percentage are of the "whack em" resolution. For every one of those there are most likely hundreds that are averted through good game management.

Are there officials with too quick a trigger that call too many T's? Sure there are - just as there are as many or more officials that don't call one when it really needs to be.

The bottom line is a T is just another type of foul predicated on the behavior of the participants. By practicing good game management, establishing good communication ground rules with the coaches and proactive officiating, we can minimize the number of situations where a T can occur, but we won't eliminate them.

And sometimes it's just your turn in the bucket....... Last season I assessed a total of 5 technicals, four of them flagrant - that's more flagrants than I have assessed in total in my entire previous officiating career.

In my first game this year, a kid hammered the shooter, picking up his 4th personal early in the 4th Qtr. After the first FT he was subbed out, and as he approached the team bench kicked a chair so hard it flew 10 feet & hit the wall, earning him an immediate T (foul #5 so he's now DQ'd and can't come back in) and the HC an indirect and loss of the coaching box. I didn't really have a choice, as there's no way you can let that kind of behavior go. By contrast, in the 10+ games I've done since, I haven't had a situation even get close.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a round about way is don't make statistical judgements based on the situations you see posted here - they simply aren't representative.

[Edited by TimTaylor on Dec 13th, 2005 at 03:26 PM]