View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Coaches are hard to find, particularly at the rec and youth levels where they are unpaid volunteers. The only requirements are usually the commitment to show up. Officials often make more from the game than HS coaches, who might be paid $2500 a year or so on top of their normal teaching salaries.
I think this depends on where you live. I know a basketball official in my area that is also teacher and coaches the tennis teams at his school. One tennis team plays is during the fall the other team plays during the spring. He said he gets paid $6000 each season ($12,000 a year). Tennis is also not a revenue sport and does not make money. He said that basketball coach gets paid a lot more than he does. I know I do not make $6000 a season working basketball. I am sure there are coaches that might make around $10,000-$15,000 depending on the school district. I am sure it varies a lot, but $2500 is low.

Peace
Wow...I coach on the JV level and make a whopping 5% of my salary....ends up being about 2000. I had open gym this season from early October to November 14, 2 days a week. Then season goes from Nov.14 to Feb. 8. Thats a lot of work for $2000. I definetly do it for the love of the kids and the game.