View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

First of all travels is the most inconsistent call in all of basketball from the 5th and 6th grade level to the NBA. A lot of officials guess on these calls and a lot of coaches think there are travels that did not even exist. There are many actions that coaches think are travels and is clearly not a travel (sliding players on the floor, jump stops, multiple steps with the non-pivot foot). I have no idea why these things are not called, but I would bet that you probably think there are travels that are not by rule travels. I was not there and no one else is there. But I do know that coaches want this called when there really is nothing to call.

Peace [/B][/QUOTE]

I honestly subscribe to the when in doubt, no call theory. The less whistles the better in my book.

I think that I understand the sliding, jump stop, etc. that you mentioned above fairly well, but I am sure that I do not know all. Further, I fully subscribe to the advatage/disadvantage discretion when making a call. I have reffed enoungh youth league games to know that what you guys do is very hard - for that reason I hardly ever question an official of a call they make or don't make. At the end of the day, a lot of calls simply come down to judgment.