View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 12:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ATXCoach

Thank you! Please see the post above that I was working on when you submitted yours. I was not in any way trying to attack rainmaker; I failed to acurately word my response.

I apreciate your responses to my hypothetical.

I've started this post to understand why things that are "by the book" travels were not getting called. Every response has said that it is a travel and that they would call it, but few have told me why it's not called.

In your responses, you stated that all three of my examples (drop step, layup, stepping into the shot) are travels as I describe them. Simply put, why are they called so rarely then by the referees in my area? (The referees I am refering to are mostly upper level, experienced high school refs that have earned the right to officiate college games. I would consider them extremely qualified and far more educated to referee than myself, as is everyone of you on this board).

-ATX
First of all travels is the most inconsistent call in all of basketball from the 5th and 6th grade level to the NBA. A lot of officials guess on these calls and a lot of coaches think there are travels that did not even exist. There are many actions that coaches think are travels and is clearly not a travel (sliding players on the floor, jump stops, multiple steps with the non-pivot foot). I have no idea why these things are not called, but I would bet that you probably think there are travels that are not by rule travels. I was not there and no one else is there. But I do know that coaches want this called when there really is nothing to call.

Peace