View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by ATXCoach
(Side note - I do teach jamming the cutter, but I do not tell me girls about tapping the elbow and I don't allow my players to flop! BUT why don't refs call charges if the defender doesn't flop? It's still technically a charge regardless of if the defender is displaced an inch or 3 feet - Sorry, back on topic)
Sorry sir but you are wrong. Displacement is based on the official's judgment. That judgment is based on advantage/disadvantage. A defender who is bumped and displaced an inch has NOT been fouled.

Quote:
I've thought of two other examples of travelling by the book that are generally accepted during game play:

1) layups - how do you get two steps? If you catch the ball with you left foot down/right foot up then your left foot is the pivot foot. First step with your right foot. Second step picks up your pivot foot and put it back down for you to jump off of. By the book, this is a travel.
Some layups are traveling violations, some are not. Contrary to what you may think, every layuip does not occur as you post. What you've described is consider three steps, not two.

Quote:
2) Reversing the ball aroun the perimeter to the shooter. Shooter cathes the ball with left foot stepping toward the basket in the air, right foot down. After catching the ball, plant the left foot, bring the right foot into shooting position, which has technically displaced the pivot foot.
Sometimes a jump stop is used, other times the pivot foot is moved, other times the shooter travels.

Quote:
Despite the offense I took towards rainmakers comments and smarta** remarks above (which are probally a bad idea considering his status on this board), I really have appreciated the insight of the officials on the board and look forward to your responses to the question posed above.
I hope you aren't normally this thin skinned. You asked a question. You don't get to tell the respondent how to answer. I don't understand what you're looking for.
Thank you! Please see the post above that I was working on when you submitted yours. I was not in any way trying to attack rainmaker; I failed to acurately word my response.

I apreciate your responses to my hypothetical.

I've started this post to understand why things that are "by the book" travels were not getting called. Every response has said that it is a travel and that they would call it, but few have told me why it's not called.

In your responses, you stated that all three of my examples (drop step, layup, stepping into the shot) are travels as I describe them. Simply put, why are they called so rarely then by the referees in my area? (The referees I am refering to are mostly upper level, experienced high school refs that have earned the right to officiate college games. I would consider them extremely qualified and far more educated to referee than myself, as is everyone of you on this board).

-ATX