View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ATXCoach

Despite the offense I took towards rainmakers comments and smarta** remarks above (which are probally a bad idea considering his status on this board), I really have appreciated the insight of the officials on the board and look forward to your responses to the question posed above.
ATX -- None of my comments were intended to be "moral objections" nor $marta$$. Seriously. I meant everything I said literally and sincerely. In spite of the evidence to the contrary, I generally assume that coaches are reasonable until they prove otherwise. I could not know that hs coaches in your area were lousy, so I didn't assume that. I'm also giving you the benefit of the doubt. Your posts haven't been argumentative or hostile, so I thought perhaps you were really wanting information and not just a battle. I suggested some information that you might use. It's very possible that what I said won't apply in your situation. That doesn't make me a $marta$$.

Furthermore, many of the refs around here who do high school ball also do "classics" and "travelling" tournaments. So that circumstance was factored into my remarks. In fact, it's the best high school refs who do the best "traveling" tournaments. They do ref the two types of games differently. It's part of how they are defined as the best refs, that they are capable of seeing the difference. (PS I'm not including myself in this category. I don't do these games yet) On this board, we usually check out people's assumptions before we blast them or take offense at their posts. I think it would have been reasonable for you to ask if I was assuming that these high school coaches were talented.

I will try not to assume that you are an unreasonable coach, just as I do any other coach, but reacting offensively and with name-calling to a very dry and neutral statement doesn't speak highly in your favor. But perhaps I'm mis-construing your vocabulary the way you mis-understood mine.

SORRY, NO, NO ,NO - this will teach me to type at 1:30 in the morning. It was not rainmaker's comments that were smarta**ed, it was mine. I was attempting to actually put myself down.

I did disagree with her comments, but I in no way was looking for a battle. Short summary, I was trying to say that unlike most of Texas, the girls sub-varsity coaches in Austin are not very good. I then went on to say essentially what JUST ANOTHER REF said, in that, if I can get away with it and the move is benefiscial for my player, then the 1 or 2 travelling calls is worth it. Then I made a horrible blunder in leaving out the word "my" before I used the word "smarta**." For that I appologize. I then finished with two other examples that I feel are by the book travels but never called. What I am searching for is some clarity so that I may educate myself and my players on the rules.

I appologize personally to rainmaker as I was not in any way meaning to attack or battle you - I was simply being an idiot (or a "smarta**").