View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Coach, if it's rarely called in summer ball, that's one thing. If your players are telling you that their hs coaches don't let them do that move, that tells you that it's NOT ignored during the season. If the hs coaches thought they could get away with it, believe me they would.

But even if it's called only twice a year, why teach the girls things that may not be use-able in other situations? If they stick to the rules, they won't ever have to worry.
Rainmaker,

The exact same refs that call the summer games call the high school games. You are not too familiar with Austin, Texas Girls Basketball because you assumed that the coaches have some talent. The varsity coaches are mostly good, but the JV and Freshman coaches are glorified PE teachers at best or football coaches earning extra money. It is a horrible disservice for these young ladies. Luckily, the majority of my players have reached varsity level as sophmores despite my egregious coaching practices and I don't have to endure the horrible coaching or lack thereof very much.

You ask why teach it? First, I teach about 5 different low post moves, including the power dribble, but obviously, I would rather the posts not dribble.

As far as the "moral objection" you have to my coaching techniques: why do defenders hold cutters up? why do you tap the shooter's elbow if they've been draining shots in your face all day? why do you fall down and scream as if you've been run over by a train when a little point bumps into you on a drive to the basket? Simple answer - you are trying to get a competetive advantage!

(Side note - I do teach jamming the cutter, but I do not tell me girls about tapping the elbow and I don't allow my players to flop! BUT why don't refs call charges if the defender doesn't flop? It's still technically a charge regardless of if the defender is displaced an inch or 3 feet - Sorry, back on topic)

I've thought of two other examples of travelling by the book that are generally accepted during game play:

1) layups - how do you get two steps? If you catch the ball with you left foot down/right foot up then your left foot is the pivot foot. First step with your right foot. Second step picks up your pivot foot and put it back down for you to jump off of. By the book, this is a travel.

2) Reversing the ball aroun the perimeter to the shooter. Shooter cathes the ball with left foot stepping toward the basket in the air, right foot down. After catching the ball, plant the left foot, bring the right foot into shooting position, which has technically displaced the pivot foot.

The drop step described in this post, a layup, and stepping into your shot are all essentially the same move, are these above two examples also travels?

Despite the offense I took towards rainmakers comments and smarta** remarks above (which are probally a bad idea considering his status on this board), I really have appreciated the insight of the officials on the board and look forward to your responses to the question posed above.

Thank you!!