Thread: Oh what a night
View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 10, 2001, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Sad the adults aren't acting their ages, isn't it?
I hear this all the time from officials in many sports that the "younger" age groups (non-high school stuff) can be the most be the work and abuse. Only topped by men's leagues, right gang?
I don't know who runs the program you officiated, but they should be aware of what happened and act upon it. To steal a pharse from a local soccer league, we need to have ZERO tolerance with this poor behavior. T 'em up earlier, sit 'em down or toss 'em. NO room for knuckleheads around the kids.
I run the local basketball league in our town. Before I took it over, we had several loud and obnoxious coaches & fans. They didn't use board officials, just volunteers.
The first thing I did was tell the league I'd run it, if I could hire board officials. Second, all the coaches prior to the beginning of the season, were handed out my list of "misunderstood" basketball rules, which we went over in detail. This "educated" them on the rules and cleared up the myths they had about the rules. I have also handed them out to the parents in the past to keep the fans in line. This has worked great for me. I hardly have any problems with coaches or fans now. I f anyone gets out of line, I will talk with them, reminding them they paid for their child to play, not to come and yell at the ref's or players.
Good luck