Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Or you AH's could actually buy a BRD and see that it's covered already. It's hard to legitimately claim he didn't know it when it's published in his book.

Coaches in section 135
Umpires in section 493

The book becomes available sometime after the first of the year.
Oh come on you two, it was funny as hell. Thanks, Luke. You AH's need to lighten up a bit. At least we got the answer of when it is coming out. Thank you, Carl. Hey, Rich, if you want to shell out the money for a copy of the BRD for everyone, fine. If not, don't spend our money for us. Some of us have much more important uses for our hard earned dough.
There is no better resource than the BRD. And this comes from someone who hasn't exactly been chummy with Carl lately.
Ditto, Rich! The BRD has become one of my most valuable tools as I officiate under all 3 codes. Trying to keep all the rules straight was a royal pain. The advent of the BRD put it all together.

To those who question the BRD, it is not "another rule book". You still need all 3 (OBR, FED & NCAA) rule books. The BRD takes a rule and associates it to the 3 rule books, shows the differences and supplies the case book and "double-secret rulings" put forth the rule gods. The best part is that Carl cites the rule book and rule number references along with the case book reference numbers so you can look up the rule as needed. He added a second index to quickly locate a rule and has a detailed index at the end as always. I've had many occasions where a coach wanted to see a rule (in the parking lot, of course) and I use the BRD to tell me exactly which rule to go to.

Of course, there are those who use the "photographic memory" concept of officiating. To those who have that capability, more power to ya'! I know my rules, but when an explanation is needed be it in the parking lot, at an association meeting or at our mentor's group, the BRD has been one of my best tools. Besides, it makes good reading in the "reading room"! Our HS rules interpreter always said "If you take the rule book into the crapper with you, you'll read the damn thing twice and you might just learn something!"