Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Contact ?

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweet
Alright guys,

So last night I am doing a Varsity level city league game, the kids are cahtter mouths and think they are in the NBA ( and want the calls that way) but I didn't acre much for them (except the 3 T's i called becaus ethey wouldnt shut up).

But now to my question, there was a lot of off/def run-ins which ended up with def ending up on the floor. 3 of those were called PC on one player alone that night, but there was hmmmm bout 10 other ones that neither me or my partner called either a block or charge, I didn't called them because I felt that contact was not enough for the defense to fall so i had no call. After the game though I started wondering, if i should have called a couple of them player controls or even blocks, I wasnt sure anymore why exactly I didn't call them , so I was wondering when would you guys NOT call block/charge when 1 OR 2 players end up on the floor.

Thank ya boys
If there's contact and two players end up on the floor then you usually need to call something - I know as a coach for offense or the defense I would want some type of foul called if my player was impeded.

But, the key is to watch the defensive player. If there is LGP and the contact is on the torso of the defender call the charge and give him credit for a great play.

Now, if there's some contact and neither player hits the floor, then it might have been incidental etc.,

Now if there's a flop, I'm going to probably let it go the first time and make sure the player knows that I know its a flop etc.,

Thanks
David
I see plenty of cases, especially with advanced players, where you can have both players on the floor without a need for a whistle.

A1 goes to the basket and their body is going diagonally away from B1. B1 in an effort to draw the charge falls straight back...following my contact through the defender...this is obviously not a charge. A1 is attempting to avoid the charge and does so with good body control, but that effort leads to an off balance landing and now we have two players on the floor.

Like with any call, we have to judge how those players ended up on the floor, and not just have a call because they are there.