View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
carl,

do you think you can make the test available for download?
It's copywrited by TASO. I'll check into it.

Truth to tell, it's not a very good test since the writer had not trained in writing evaluation instruments.

He has "tells,"; that is, "All of the above" when even a rookie knows that one answer is not right. That reduces it to a "True" or "False" answer and doubles his chances of getting the right answer. He has questions where, if you know the answer to Number 6, you can't miss Number 12. Those are often T/F items, sprinkled in with the multiple choice.

He also has questions with foolish distracters. Here are some actual "possible" answers:

"The umpire should tell the catcher he will check with his partner when he wants to and not to bother him anymore."

It's the base umpire's call.

Look away; tell the defensive coach you did not see it.
The beauty of the tests, for my purposes, is they will allow the Texas state clinicians to evaluate their umpires without having to go to the trouble of creating their own items.

One thing I'm doing at the training in January: Each clinician will get a copy of the databank (looseleaf style to make it easy to duplicate a page). I'll ask each umpire (should be over 100) to pick five questions from five different tests. Then TASO will determine if there are any questions that appear multiple times. From that list, we'll create a power exam of questions selected by the clinicians themselves.

Exciting times in Texas.