Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally posted by BT_Blue
Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56

Big,
Were you at that week at CDP? If so, what bunk? I was in 32B. I saw the umpire in question work behind the plate and it was something to behold! He was a really good umpire. Good zone, great confidence, etc.

It was a joy to watch him work and by the way, he looked damn good out there too! Doing something most of us would just give up on, he was out there busting his *** and honestly, better dressed and looking more like an umpire than some umpires with all their mobility.

Sadly, I dont remember the gentleman's name but he will always have a special place in my umpiring life.

God bless him and all of his family.
No, BT I wasn't there. The subject came up earlier this year on two other forums. This thread just reminded me of it.

It's nice to hear the skinny straight from the horses mouth though. I'm glad to hear you felt he was a competent official in spite of his limitations.

Tim.
The batter pops up foul directly toward the screen. F2 turns his back to the plate and goes for the ball, which is drifting to his left, just inches from the screen. I'd be interested in seeing U1 cover that play from a wheelchair.

Of course, in a two- or three-man crew he could never call plays at third except via long distance. In a 4-man crew if the third-base umpire goes out, do the umpires rotate counter-clockwise? If so, that means U2 will have plays at first and second.

An umpire with a prosthesis can do the job. I know: I've worked with one.

The FED, as CYA, allow umpires using "mobility devices" to work. The mind boggles!

I'm sorry, but a guy in a wheelchair just can't do what an umpire must do.

We all know that. Judges who never umpired may not.

Thank goodness we have only a few self-centered individuals who think their gratification is more important than the players or the integrity of the game.