Thread: Did Carl know?
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56

While we're discussing a handicapped or "physically disadvantaged" coach, I'd like to get some opinions on a situation that came up this last summer at the Cooperstown Dreams Park.

During one of the week long tournaments there, an umpire was calling games from a wheelchair. This brought rise to an issue that goes deeper than the sport of baseball in my opinion. The main questions were, can he do his job effectively, and even if he can, is he putting the players at a higher risk of injury.

I can certainly see the downside of allowing this, but I don't see how it could be stopped, or even if it should be stopped for that matter.

Any thought's?

Tim.
Big,
Were you at that week at CDP? If so, what bunk? I was in 32B. I saw the umpire in question work behind the plate and it was something to behold! He was a really good umpire. Good zone, great confidence, etc.

It was a joy to watch him work and by the way, he looked damn good out there too! Doing something most of us would just give up on, he was out there busting his *** and honestly, better dressed and looking more like an umpire than some umpires with all their mobility.

Sadly, I dont remember the gentleman's name but he will always have a special place in my umpiring life.

God bless him and all of his family.