View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 26, 2005, 05:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
NFHS and NCAA - Case play references if possible please.

Sitch: A1 has the ball dribbling in the BC being guarded by B1. New T has a 10 sec count.

1) I've noticed that sometimes the trail picks up a 5 second count as soon as A1 & B1 cross the division line. Is this because legal guarding position was established in the BC and that "status" stays with them until they are separated by 6 feet?

2) Same topic - What is your opinion on situations where YOU pick up a closely guarded. Example: I am probably guilty of not putting a count on when B is 6 feet away but by rule, it's 6 feet. IMHO, nobody is closely guarded at 6 feet and I see my peers call it at more like 3.

3) I also notice that sometimes you can have a dribbling situation coming into your primary and you have no idea if legal guarding position was ever established. I suppose glancing at my P, if he doesnt have a count on that guarded dribble, I should NOT pick one up.

I'll give you NFHS cites. I think that the NCAA mens rules are similar, but I'm too lazy to look 'em up. NCAA Womens? I dunno.

1) To have a closely guarded count, the defender must first obtain a LGP as per R4-23-2. That LGP rule doesn't specify where you have to obtain it; iow, the defender can establish his LGP either in the front or backcourt. After establishing LGP, the defender can then establish and maintain a closely guarded position by staying within 6' of the player with the ball as per R4-23-1, and at the same time also meet the provisions of R4-23-3. There is no closely guarded count in the backcourt- as per R9-10-1a. If the defender established LGP in his opponent's backcourt and is also in a closely-guarded position on that opponent when the opponent enters the front court, then the 5-second count will start immediately. The case book play is 9.10.1SitA.

2) Rule sez 6 feet. Not many officials have a count at 6 feet though if the defender isn't aggressively defending- or trying to, I think. I think the purpose and intent of the rule is to reward a defender for playing defense, not just hanging around in front of the dribbler to kinda half-assedly keep him outside. The best way to call this one imo is to talk to your peers in your area, and try to have everybody call it uniformly.

3)The partner who starts the count should try and maintain it. It's harder than hell imo to figure out where the count is if you didn't start it. Quick look at your partner. If your partner keeps his count going, let him finish it. If your partner doesn't have a count, start your's if it's applicable.

Just one old guy's opinion.