Thread: Delay of game?
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting, since I had a play in a frosh game this year almost exactly like this. Team A was down 4, I think, and had a first down at the B8 with 16 seconds left. Clock was stopped for a TO. First down play was a run to the 4 or so, and A got up to spike the ball, which they did, and I looked up at the clock which said :01. Next thing I know, the R (I'm HL) is winding the clock for the RFP, and I wondering why. The horn goes off, the R raises the ball above his head, and him and the U bust *** off the field toward their cars leaving me walking through Team A's sideline when two coaches get to me, and being on the far other side of the field, I'm not sure why the R did this.

To make a long story short, after I called him, he stated the spike was prior to the RFP, and so he just had the U set the ball and gave another RFP, which ran the one second off. However, this was terribly wrong -- not to mention leaving the field without all officials accounted for -- and left everyone thinking we had screwed up by starting the clock on the RFP instead of the snap.

So, with all that said, what rule specifically allows a winding the clock after a delay of game penalty (like the one I mentioned) on the offense on the RFP? At best, as I read it, the rule is ambiguous.