View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Let's start with an easy one and then I'll indulge you.

For many weeks now, your expected call philosophy has not answered this:

The batter hits a fence clearing home run, he misses the plate on this game leading hit. You see it clearly, do you ignore it? (Anticipating the answer How much do you allow him to miss it by? What if he missed first base?

Now, I will reciprocate: I don't measure the baseballs or mitts. But I don't measure the bases, plate or distance to the mound either. In the Majors, I believe that the Braves were accused of making the catcher's box too big and they were caught. I don't check the bats for pine tar below the 18" mark either. No rule book or umpire manual suggests that these things should be done prior to a game. However, if a coach questions the legality of a mitt, I will rule on it. This attempt at humbling me was ill advised.

I don't work in many leagues that don't permit mercy rules. But,I don't change my strike zone regardless of the weather, score or discomfort the pitcher is experiencing. I encountered this dicussion last year at the NCAA meeting. If you want to succeed, you call the game the way it should be - first pitch to last. So, I guess it is a matter or priorities. Success that is earned or success that is ill gotten. We have both made our decisions and I can sleep soundly because of mine. Letting the players decide the game is one of the first things taught at most of my clinics.

I'm not sure why you are being so defensive. The ability to travel is not a gift. Instructing in multiple states is to be commended, I just hope you didn't try to explain the expected call mania. I'll have a tougher one for you later, but I can tell that this one will make you review your posts to see that you don't step on anything.