View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Question

A.R. 13 of the 2002 NCAA rule book, page 44, has a specific example of where an official inadvertently blows a whistle and the shot clock horn sounds while A-1's try in flight. The try does not contact the rim or flange.

Is this a shot clock violation?

I don't think it is, because the AP arrow is used (accoarding to A.R. 15 to make the ball live again via the A-P throw in. If it were a shot clock violation, the Team B would automatically by rule be entitled to the ball under 9-10.2.

In reviewing A.R. 15, the clock is reset because of 2-6.a and not because of 2-6.e, thus Team A maybe entitled to the ball back. So how can it be a violation????

Does the order of the whistle/horn, or horn/whistle come into play in that which blows first has a bearing? I know that neither shot clock horn nor the whistle makes the ball immediately dead in this situation, so possibly the order does matter. But in A.R. 15, it appears that the inadvertent whistle comes first, and then the horn goes off. The ruling is that play shall resume by the AP procedure and the shot clock is reset. Reading this I deduce that the officials whistle did kill the ball after the attempt for goal endedd. Since there is not no team control during a shot, the ball had to be made live by the A-P procedure.

Am I making this TOO complicated? SOMEBODY, HELP ME by explaining which rules apply.

Again, I don't think its a violation.......