View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 12:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Ok, I'm confused. I have never seen a C call the 10-sec. count; I have always considered that the T's call, since they have the count. In NFHS, isn't there even something in the book about not using the clock for the count, and that it should be the official's count alone? Is this a different mechanic in NCAA? Do you use the shot clock to help determine a 10-sec. violation? What if the shot clock started early and the T is at "8" in his count? (Granted, I'm a little more familiar with NCAA-W, so I don't pay attention to those trivial little items like 10-second counts... )
Well, M(do you mind if I call you by your first name?), it's not really a bad idea even in FED sometimes if you're able to use the clock for help on a 10-second count-- if the count started simultaneously with the clock starting and you've got the clock in line with what you're trying to keep an eye on out there. Usually doesn't work out that nicely though, especially if you get some defensive pressure. Don't wanna be watching the clock while the dribbler's getting raped, do we?

You're probably thinking of the NFHS case book play where the the 10-second count and the clock both started simultaneously with a back-court throw-in and 12 seconds left in a quarter, and the horn then went off with the team with the ball still in the backcourt. Well, as the old saying goes, that's tough DeNucci's. (). There's no rule saying that you can re-set the clock in that one just because the official screwed up his 10-second count.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 12:33 PM]