Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckfan1
Heres one for fun...Have canvassed a few others, and am not getting a majority opinion...what say you?

No outs. R1 off on the pitch. R1 is just touching 2nd when he thinks line drive will be caught by F9. R1 heads back to 1st. After a few steps back towards 1st, R1 sees F9 did not make the catch. F9 now throws to F6 covering 2nd. Is the force still in effect?, Or does F6 need to tag R1, as there was an initial touch of 2nd by R1?
Hey PWL,

Are you really as dumb as you sound in your witty retorts? I'm beginning to think so.

I didn't rush to judgment, nor did I err.

Read chuckfan1's post very carefully, and you will see that R1 touched 2nd base, and then retreated. What part of that don't you get? The force is reinstated because R1 has already touched 2nd, and has retreated. I'm saying it again so maybe you'll get it.

This ain't a freakin' quiz show, and you ain't the Quizmaster, and I ain't your contestant. But you can bet if I was a coach in one of your games, you would finally get that ejection.

Sorry Augie Donatelli,
I read the post. I wasn't referreing to that play. A simple play at play at 1B is a force also. Your just in such a big hurry to show how damn smart you are, you start talking out the side of you mouth. I saw where you may not umpire next year. What's the matter? Your mother throwing you out of the house, and making you get a real job?
I have a couple of points. (Garth: I hope I don't send this thread farther into the abyss.)

1. There is no force play at first, Bfair to the contrary notwithstanding. That's why the book says runs don't score if the third out is: (1) a force play; OR (2) the failure of the batter-runner to touch first base safely.

2. Some seemed worried that the force was not reinstated if the runner retreating didn't touch the force base. That's a crock of.... Well, that's inaccurate. The runner's position on the bases determines whether a force is in effect. P-who is arguing that a runner between second and first must be tagged for an out regardless of the fact that the batter-runner is not out.

I think he's realized he's wrong and is trying to wiggle, wriggle out. Like the guy who opposes verbal obstruction, this guy is "alone, alone, all, all alone, alone on a...."