Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
This is an intentional foul since a player will not accidentally grab a fist full of jersey.
While I agree that it could be an intentional foul, I think you'd get get into a lot of trouble if you applied this metric (not accidental) to fouls. There are many fouls where players deliberately give a player driving to the basket a push on the hip when they're about to get beat or when a post player shoves the opponent when they get sealed off. Players deliberately stick a knee out on a screen in hopes that you will not see it and that it will slow down the defender. A grab of a jersey to slow down a player is no different than these.

The only time I'd consider it an intentional foul on a jersey grab is when the fouled player is absolutely on an otherwise uncontestable path to a certain score.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Nov 9th, 2005 at 07:46 PM]
An intentional foul should be called. The calling official should not be scared or intimidated from not making this correct call and should have the courage to make this call and not based on ones own incorrect interpretation of the NFHS Rules.

It's not about being scared or intimidated. It's a matter of the act matching the intentional foul rule or not. If you were to apply the intentional foul rule as you suggest, you'd have 10-20 intentional fouls per game. Just because they contact another player deliberately does not make it an intentional foul. There is more to it than that. Grabbing a jersey is not always a intentional foul. It depends on the context.

Fast break, 1v1, behind and getting beat, B1 grabs the jersey of A1...intentional foul every time.

Half court set, A1 dribbling out top. A2 cuts and has his jersey grabbed by B2 in the opposite corner. A2's cut was not such that it was an open path to the basket that would have put him wide open for an easy alley oop. There was no obvious advantageous position. B2 was just trying to keep A2 from getting the ball. Common foul.