View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 31, 2001, 09:42am
Administrator

Drinkeii:

The posts you see here involving very weird endings which have been discovered after the officials are off of the playing court are very rare and almost always the result of any of the following:

1) Inadequate pregame meeting among officials, scorer, and timer.

2) Inadequate game management by the officials.

3) Inexperienced game officials.

4) Inexperienced table officials.

As was started in an earlier post, once the game is over, the officials' job, in general, is done; this is true no matter what the sport.

One official stated that under FIBA rules the officials have to check and sign the book after the game, this is true; this use to be the case in women's college basketball before the NCAA added a Women's Committee. Before the NCAA, NAGWS wrote the rules for women's basketball and the rules were patterned after FIBA.

I officiate H.S. soccer (and not any games under USSF/FIFA) and the problem that I see with soccer officials that also officiate USSF is that these officials want to stick around and watch what happens between the teams after the final whistle. I have had to drag partners off of the field because they have wanted to supervise the post game handshake in case there was a fight or someother unsportsmanlike conduct between the teams. GET THE HECK OUT OF THE THERE. If the teams want to have a gang war after the game, that is game management's problem not the game officials' problem.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio